The Trained Monkey
on Mon 31 Jul 2006 10:31 BST | Permanent Link
While talking in
the office James mentioned that there was going to be yet another leap
in the HDMI Standard, welcome to the world of compatibility issues of
new HD kit.
The new HDMI
1.3 specification more than doubles HDMI
bandwidth and adds support for Deep Color h1. technology, a broader
color space, new digital audio formats, automatic audio/video synching
capability (“lip sync”), and an optional smaller connector for use with
personal photo and video devices.
With the adoption of Deep Color and the xvYCC color space, HDMI
1.3 removes the previous interface-related restrictions on color
selection. The interface will no longer be a constraining pipe that
forces all content to fit within a limited set of colors, unlike all
previous video interfaces.
New HDMI 1.3 capabilities include:
- Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its
single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz
(10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high definition display
devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates.
In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.
- Deep color: HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.
- Lets HDTVs and other displays go from millions of colors to billions of colors
- Eliminates on-screen color banding, for smooth tonal transitions and subtle gradations between colors
- Enables increased contrast ratio
- Can represent many times more shades of gray between black and
white. At 30-bit pixel depth, four times more shades of gray would be
the minimum, and the typical improvement would be eight times or more
- Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 removes virtually all limits on color selection.
- Next-generation “xvYCC” color space supports 1.8 times as many colors as existing HDTV signals
- Lets HDTVs display colors more accurately
**Enables displays with more natural and vivid colors
- New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.
- Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using
increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity
and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user
devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require
complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3
incorporates an automatic audio/video synching capability that allows
devices to perform this synchronization automatically with accuracy.
- New lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI’s
current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio
and currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.
Products implementing the new HDMI specification will continue to be backward compatible with earlier HDMI products.
Latest HDMI specification can be downloaded here www.hdmi.org.
||TMDS Data2 Shield
||TMDS Data1 Shield
||TMDS Data0 Shield
||TMDS Clock Shield
||Reserved (N.C. on device)
||+5 V Power
||Hot Plug Detect